In Our Community Website

Although I do not have a non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information in this case study. All information in this case study is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of the American  American Association.

The site goal is to create a resource for community partners and organizers to see current health initiatives taking place in their community.
Problem: There currently are no sites on Heart.org that display social determinants of health, the way the AHA is impacting the local community, nor any results that have come out of this new driven initiative.

User Research​

Meeting business goals while building content on a restricted CMS (ex: not allowed to embed videos, all content including external content must meet AHA guidelines, limited to pre-sized components, and limited to page space). It was also important to ensure there is not going to be a content overload, too much text, or too many clickable items.
Making sure the page didn’t ruin the site’s SEO. And the third pain point was finding the appropriate users to test for the site that weren’t internal staff or any sponsors.

 

Stakeholders wanted a website that served as one landing page for multiple markets in our region. The landing page would feature local stats and ‘what we did’ to serve our community.

User Insights​

I conducted user surveys to gather information on what users wanted to see from local nonprofits. 15 users were surveyed, 8 were people who use the AHA website on a weekly/monthly basis and the other 7 were people who have either do not see the organization as a vital member of the community or would like to know more about what the AHA does in their community. The survey that was conducted was through Qualtrics.


Insights that were gathered from the users were that localized content were important to them. Not just words saying that the AHA ‘did this’ or ‘that’ but actually proof, such as media clippings, social media posts, images, word of mouth.
Stakeholders wanted a website that served as one landing page for multiple markets in our region. The landing page would feature local stats and ‘what we did’ to serve our community.

 
The decision was to create this landing page, with localized content but not just full of text. The page would include news clippings, videos, picked up press releases, audio clippings.

 

Stakeholders wanted a website that served as one landing page for multiple markets in our region. The landing page would feature local stats and ‘what we did’ to serve our community.

Personas

Personas are built based on the community members who ask our development staff how their funds or support is impacting the local community. Research is one thing, but many of our users want to see results and how those results impacted those around them. Important information about each of our personas are the value they hold to our organization. Each of the persona mockups are based on people who are our stakeholders in important meetings and those who drive our mission.

Sketches

 Sketches: Brainstorming the page started with what our in-house stakeholders wanted to see and what our users need. There was about 6 different versions of this website sketched out. The problem was finding a way to put 32 localized markets on one page without it looking redundant and without having a very long page. The creative solution was for our team to create 2 column grid (based on our Sitecore Build), the 2 column grid would have a localize video on one side and the other side would have ‘in our community text’ along with those media clippings and more.

User Testing

The site was tested with volunteers, and two members of the community, which none were in the original survey group. The feedback allowed me to make minor changes and the result was that both stakeholders and users were happy. The design followed our in house branding guidelines and approved Sitecore Build. I used both Internet Explorer, Chrome, Chrome mobile, and Safari to test the interface and the responsiveness of the design. The site that inspired the design is what another AHA region created (project community). 

 

After creating this project, I learned the importance of reminding the stakeholder that pertinent information is what’s needed on the page and that users have a short attention span. I loved being able to focus on the local impact our organization has in the communities I support.